Willow Grove NJ Fire Company - Pittsgrove NJ
The Willow Grove Fire Company was established in February of 1937 after a group of residents held a meeting for that purpose. With thirty seven men and women present, and after each person contributing one dollar, the Willow Grove Volunteer Fire Company was officially organized. The first President and Fire Chief was Stewart Potter with other officers being Pete Jackson vice president and assistant chief, H.R. Corner Secretary and H. R. Nichols Treasurer. In 1939, the company was officially incorporated with the State of New Jersey.
The first piece of apparatus was a Model T Ford purchased in 1937 from the Franklinville Fire Company for $86.58. This engine was housed in the garage of H. E. Nichols located at the intersection of Willow Grove Road and English Road (the current Wilson residence). The first new piece of apparatus was purchased in 1947, a Dodge, with the capacity to pump 500 gallons per minute with a 600 gallon water tank. This vehicle was recently located in Bridgeton, New Jersey with hopes of restoration for display.
The first official Willow Grove Fire Company station stands at its present location on Willow Grove Road, which was generously donated to the fire company in the 1940s. Over the years many transformations have occurred. In 1991, a total reconstruction was undertaken which included new utilities, facade, and interior updates.
The company is also looking for any history of the Willow Grove Fire Company that community members may have, please contact the company with any history or memorabilia. In 2012, the company celebrated our 75th anniversary and would like to add any information to our company’s history of serving the community of Pittsgrove Township.